Saturday, May 17, 2014

Week 11 of Training: Backups, Backups, BACKUPS!

Things are definitely coming to a close. We just wrapped up our week of training in the backup software we'll be using at post. First, let me just say that this is some of the most user friendly backup software I've ever used, short of VM snapshots. I mean, it'll be even better when we don't have to deal with tapes... but they're getting phased out as we speak, so that's something to look forward to! The course was mostly self-led-studying as we worked our way through the labs. Our instructor wrote the book, which was outstanding, and the class went pretty quickly. Many of us repeated the labs 'closed book' several times through the week and still had spare time to take care of errands.
On an unrelated note, I feel like I'm slowing down in my enthusiasm for our training. It's not that what we're doing now is any worse or less interesting... but I think everyone in my class is just... ready to go to post. I really feel for the folks that aren't leaving until August (or later)! Things are speeding up for my family, we've been scrambling to try to prepare for packout, nail down our flights, schedule the rest of our time in the US (between visiting family, people visiting us, and necessary errands) and we're even trying to hire household staff from departing officers in Chennai... It seems like we have so much to do, it's hard to keep up, and that doesn't even count our standard "chasing around a 1 year old" duties!

Well, as people keep telling me... it's not long now. They're probably right, 6 weeks still seems like a long time, but I imagine we'll be on the plane before I know it. Next week is dedicated to learning (how to be?) S.M.A.R.T., which is pretty much the system that replaced the system that replaced telegraphs... tune in next time?

No comments:

Post a Comment