Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Dhoti Friday... on Tuesday

Just a quick note for today. One of the things I'd noticed when bidding on Chennai was that they celebrated(?) "Dhoti* Fridays." I was somewhat disappointed when I arrived at post to learn that the practice had lapsed. Fortunately, this week we had the first revitalization of Dhoti Fridays, and to make it pop, we're having it on Tuesday! Unfortunately, not knowing the difference, I purchased a lungi**... not a dhoti, but oh well! I'm thinking I might have to start wearing a dhoti (or lungi) every Friday. Maybe I can single-handedly resurrect the weekly event. The local staff generally chuckled, shook my hand, and/or informed me that I was indeed not wearing a dhoti, but a lungi (often all three).

* "The dhoti, also known as mundu, pancha, mardani or veshti, is a traditional men's garment worn in India." -Wikipedia

** "The lungi, also known as a sarong, is a traditional garment worn around the waist in Indonesia, Bangladesh, India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Burma, Brunei, Malaysia, Nepal, Singapore, Thailand, the Horn of Africa and the southern Arabian Peninsula." - Wikipedia

PS: I cheated by having my housekeeper teach me how to properly wearing my lungi... and I cheated even more by wearing a belt (hidden by the rolled up part of the lungi and by my shirt).

No comments:

Post a Comment