Sunday, March 6, 2016

Hardship Differential

As of today, the hardship differential for Consulate General Chennai has increased from 15% to 20%. This percent represents several things, including extra (incentive) pay, second-tour bidding 'clout,' and student loan repayment eligibility. Since it went to 15% right before I arrived and is changing back to 20% right as I leave, I have to assume this is just an indication of how much I improved morale. Sorry to leave you all in the lurch, so to speak. As a parting gift, I give you 5% more money!

If I sound a little bitter... it's probably because I am. Chennai has only improved in the last two years, which means the people that arrived the year I did spent nearly our entire tour under represented by our hardship differential. Of course, there are worse things. For example, two of the other posts on my original bid list have had terrorist bombings in the last two years. I think I'd rather miss out on a little money... than hear bombs exploding, given the choice.

Anyway, long story short. Congrats to my Chennai colleagues.

No comments:

Post a Comment